Friday, July 4, 2014

What to do with a Round Hanky

A lady gave me a whole bunch of hankies and she said I want you to make me pillows with these.   I had made hanky pillows before.  I would rag quilt ('cause that's what I do) 4 hankies together and voila -- a hanky pillow.



 Once I had a beautiful pink hanky that I just couldn't use  in a hanky quilt so I sewed a pillow cover with just that one hanky in the rag quilt style.



So I knew what to do to make her the pillow covers.  However, in this bunch of hankies there were two very pretty round hankies that I just didn't know quite what to do with.  I looked up making pillow covers for round pillows and while there were tutorials for them, I didn't think it would work very well for hankies.  Then as I was ironing all the hankies to see which would be the best to use for the pillows I noticed some plain jane lace embroidered edge white hankies.   Nothing fancy, a little boring.  The kind I usually pass over when picking the perfect hankies. This time though I wondered if I could use plain jane with the beautiful round hanky.

I sewed the plain jane onto a piece of white flannel then I sewed the round hanky on top.  I added another square of flannel beneath and quilted the two layers together  in circles following the design that was on the round hanky.   I sewed the two backing pieces on and clipped the edges all around.

This is what I did with a round hanky:



Here is the second pillow.  I didn't have another plain jane hanky that was big enough so I backed this round hanky with more flannel.



No comments:

Post a Comment