Friday, July 25, 2014

Handkerchief Challenges

Lately I've had some creative challenges with my hanky quilts and pillows.  The previous post talked about my challenge using round hankies.  This time I had some lovely hankies that had one embroidered corner.  I wanted to sew it my way which is, of course, rag quilted, but if I did it the usual way the cut seams would have cut through the lacy embroidery.  So here's how I handled it.


I centered the designs on a piece of flannel and sewed them down then ragged only the edges of the pillow.  I think it turned out great.

Another challenge I had was what to do with all white hankies in a quilt.  I always use white flannel when making my hanky quilts.  I tried to use different colors of flannel but that changed the color of the hankies and didn't look very good.   So when a lady asked me to make a quilt out of her (almost) all white hankies I handled it in two ways.

  • The first was to layer the hankies.

This is a good technique to use when you have very large hankies with a large amount of white space in the middle and very small hankies.  I would sew the small hanky centered right in the middle of the large like this:





  • The second was to frame each hanky with a colored print.
For this quilt I picked a pinkish coral keepsake calico fabric with roses and lace design.

 I centered each white hanky on an exact size piece of white flannel (so the design of this fabric wouldn't show through) and then sewed it onto the calico fabric.

Then I rag quilted it in the same way as always.  Here's how it turned out:










It's really hard to see the beauty of these hankies in this picture but you can see how each hanky is framed by the fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment