Saturday, October 22, 2011
in the etsy shop mybeardedpigeon . Her map of the world pillows are just so beautiful, the colors so vibrant! When I found the USA Map Panel at my local fabric store, I just had to try a rag quilt with it. I did not want to destroy the continuity of the map itself so I opted for sewing 9" seams down the map to mimic the 9" squares I usually do. Then I wanted to highlight the vivid primary colors in the quilt so I found cottons and flannels to match the colors in the quilt. I bordered the map with the colored squares.
I used bright green minky on the back of the map, which kind of gave it a Lego look. I gave this quilt to my friend who just began teaching 1st grade. I imagine she may use it in her reading center. Hopefully her students will absorb the geography as they cuddle on the USA.
Thursday, June 2, 2011
It was one week before the wedding and my daughter, Summer, suggested a white wedding quilt, something special using all white fabrics. She said that she wished she had gotten one for her wedding. That really appealed to me as I had been wanting to make an all white quilt for some time.
As I was thinking/planning the quilt I got the idea to throw some purple in as a feature somehow. I didn't want big purple squares with the white so I thought a stripe of purple would be nice. I wanted it around the edge but not on the outermost edge.
I drew it out on graph paper and then set about cutting and sewing. It was easy to do the mid-section since it was all whites and the four corners were white. To get the stripe I had to cut and sew together a strip of purple to the white fabrics I had selected. Each 9" square was always 3/4 white and 1/4 purple but the positioning of the purple was key to the stripe.
When I had it all sewn together I was very happy with the look of the stripe on the smooth side. I was still worried the fluffy side would have a more disjointed look but by the time I had it all cut, I couldn't be happier.
My son, Tyler, suggested I make the American flag rag quilt which I filed away for a summertime project. My daughter, Hayley, suggested I try a simple design, like what's on Charlie Brown's shirt. That captured my imagination and I couldn't think of anything else. All three of us took turns sketching it out on napkins:
I layered yellow fleece on the inside to make it thick and warm. That's where the second complication set in. I didn't want yellow to show in the black zigzag so I cut black fleece and positioned it next to the yellow in two triangles. Then on the advice of my son, I used black thread on all the black squares and yellow thread on all the yellow squares. I stitched the traditional X through all the squares even the two rows of half black, half yellow. It took a long time to get it just right. There was one spot that no matter how many times I took out the stitches and re-sewed I still got a bit of black thread showing on the one side of the yellow.
Now it was ready to be cut. I was so hoping that it would turn out the way I had envisioned. Here is a view of the quilt before it was cut:
And here is the fluffy side: