Saturday, October 12, 2013

3 Reasons Why Hankies Make Beautiful Rag Quilts

         I am working on an order of three Rag Quilts made from large, medium and small vintage hankies.  As I go through the process I am finding that there are at least 3 reasons why hankies make the best, if not the most beautiful rag quilts.

1.  They are already square.
You don't even have to cut them in any way so that saves a step in the quilting process.

2.  No matter how you arranged them, they always look perfect.
You can put different colors or patterns together and they never clash.

3.  Hankies are beautiful works of art to begin with so your quilt is guaranteed to turn out beautiful.
I think hankies are exceptionally beautiful, but extremely undervalued works of art, especially the floral hankies.  They are delicate, soft and oh so feminine.  Each square on a hanky rag quilt will be a "framed" (in fluff) beautiful work of art.

Here is the first of the three Hanky Rag Quilts that I have finished and the WIP's of the other two.










 Here is the layout for the medium hankies WIP



Layout for the small hankies WIP

6 comments:

  1. I love your hankie quilts! I just recently acquired my grandmother's collection and was thinking of putting together a quilt like this. They just seem to be so beautiful and delicate! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Ilene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Ilene! If you have any questions, you know where to find me : )

      Delete
  2. Where do you find your hankies? This is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 98% of the hankies folks send to me to make their quilts but you can find them on Ebay and Easy, yard sales and estate sales, and antique stores.

      Delete
  3. Do you happen to have any instructions on how you made the seams? I have an old hankie collection and this would be the perfect way to use/display them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, Look on this blog. I wrote a whole tutorial on how to make a Hanky Rag Quilt. That will tell you everything you need to know.

      Delete