Thursday, September 14, 2023

Adding Letters to your Rag Quilt

I am forever trying to find ways to use up my fabric scraps.  And now on top of the cotton and flannel scraps I have added a mountain of batting scraps from all the t-shirt quilts I've done.  I saw a pin on Pinterest for making fabric letters that uses fabric scraps and batting.

 I make my letters the rag quilted way (of course).

I made my grandbaby her name:


Then I started adding the letters to my rag quilts to personalize them:




When I make a quilt with name letters I make the rest of the quilt first the usual way.  I do the letter part last.

 I add the letters to the quilt is in two ways. 

 If the name is small enough I will center the fabric letters inside the squares

 or

I will add a coordinating flannel strip the same size as the squares (usually 9") and center the name letters on that. 

 I usually try to use the same fabrics that are in the quilt for the top layer of the letters then the 2nd and 3rd layers of the letters are always a solid flannel.  You can do just 2 layers for the letters too but I usually do 3 layers for the letters sewn on top of 3 layers of the quilt square.  

BTW:  It is much easier to put a letter in a square than it is to sew them onto a strip of flannel.

No comments:

Post a Comment