Sunday, January 20, 2013

More Handkerchief Quilts

         Since my last post about my first Handkerchief Rag quilt in  Feb. 2012,  I've made three others and one pillow.  Each on is similar but each is one of a kind.














 I find my hankies at estate sales, garage sales, flea markets or some times people will give them to me.  I also supplement with brand new cutter hankies from ebay but I prefer the hunt to find the most beautiful ones.

I'm getting ready to make a new one with hankies on the top fluffy side, white flannel in the middle and a very soft vintage denim sheet that I found at a yard sale on the bottom.  I will most likely post for sale in my etsy shop ZeedleBeez unless I fall in love with it and keep it for myself.  : )


4 comments:

  1. Loving your quilts and so glad you are back to blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, these are beautiful and I would like to try this with my grandmothers hankies. How do you deal with handkerchiefs of different sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's been a problem of mine. I have made rag quilts where the seams don't line up but I don't think it looks as nice. I try to find hankies all around the same size, that's why it takes me so long to make them. Right now I have a pile of 11-11 1/2", 12 -12 1/2" and 13" + Who knew hankies came in all those sizes? I may try a quilt with uneven seams to see how it looks. You could always do a regular quilt but you would lose the nice detail colors around the edge. If anyone knows how to solve this problem, please write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to try to get the biggest size hankie and cut all the flannel that size. On the pieces where the hankie is smaller than the flannel I will sew the hankie down. I'll intermix the large and the small hankies and see how that will work. I will post a picture if it works.

    ReplyDelete